Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Selfish-ly Chasing Joy

Evening ladies and gents, or should I say good morning. Screw it. I'm still up so it's night time for me. Like I said, evening ladies and gents. I've been thinking about many things as of late. I thought I'd share some of that with you. Hopefully, this post will be a bit more constructive than my latest post.

Lately I've been reading Inside Out by Dr. Larry Crabb. This book basically encourages us to truly take a look into the core of who we are, sin, disappointments, sadness, and all. Only after we face these things and realize that we can never be satisfied on our own can we truly live a redeemed life. It is only after realizing that Christ is the only source of joy that we can begin to find our joy in Christ. This seems simple enough.

The first line lays a lot of groundwork for Crabb's approach in the rest of the book, "Modern Christianity, in dramatic reversal of its biblical form, promises to relieve the pain of living in a fallen world." The point here is that although true joy is found in Christ we will not be satisfied on this side of eternity; however, we must chase joy in this life so that we will receive its culmination in eternity. We struggle to find our satisfaction in Christ on earth 1) Because Christ is the only one that grants true joy and 2) Because if we struggle to be satisfied in Christ here on earth then we will be granted complete satisfaction in eternity.

This idea is not only held by Crabb. John Piper says much the same thing in Desiring God. Piper identifies this philosophy as Christian hedonism. This has not been the first time that I have interacted with this philosophy. In fact, I claim to believe the same things as Crabb and Piper. The problem is that I often fail to live in a way that supports my belief. My actions prove me to be a liar.

I have once again come to understand that it would be insane to continue chasing things that will never satisfy me. I consciously understand that satisfaction can only be found in the finished work of Christ. It is time to once again live like this is true.

This realization cannot be a one-time occurrence. I must constantly come back to this idea. There will always be areas of my life that I will fight to keep from being redeemed. Consequently, these will be the areas that will rob me of any joy that I could possibly have.

This is not a re-commitment. This is not a salvation decision. This is me "working out my salvation with fear and trembling". Do not simply comment on this change in my life. Identify the areas of your life that are robbing you of joy. Remember you will never find satisfaction in that sin. Move on. Christ died that we might live life to its fullest. Stop trying to find satisfaction in the same crap you were unsatisfied with yesterday. Mark Driscoll would tell you to quit driving around the same cul-de-sac of stupidity. Be selfish enough to chase your own joy. You'll find you won't end up living for yourself.



P.S. This is what Inside Out looks like. You should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment