Friday, June 25, 2010

More Late Night Musings

We truly are half-hearted people. C.S. Lewis is often quoted to say that the problem with humanity is not that we love too much but that we love too little. This has begun to really hit home with me. As I see it, our depravity is not expressed by over indulging in sins but through not chasing joy. Once again I find myself at this idea. Do not misunderstand, we do often overindulge in things which leads to sin. The root of the issue is not that we love sex or alcohol too much, its that we fail to find enjoyment in greater things.

It is much easier to drink away our misery on the weekends than it is to face the dissatisfaction that nearly cripples us during the work week. It is much easier to lust than to learn what true love actually looks like. Instead of reflecting on how we could best live, we attempt to numb the pain and hurt of living a dissatisfied life by turning to a quick relief.

I think this idea of chasing and fighting for joy is evident in pop culture. For example, a great number of movies out there are about romantic relationships. Guy meets girl. Guy and girl hit it off. Some crisis happens. Guy and girl must fight to keep their relationship alive. The moral of this is not that we should hold up romantic relationships as our greatest fulfillment. The moral that we should take from this is that some things are worth fighting for.

Too often in my own life I trade something that will be edifying yet difficult for a familiar comfort. It's easier for me to spend my days sleeping, watching movies, and playing guitar instead of cultivating deep relationships.

In Dante's Inferno, the first few rings of hell below Limbo are reserved for the overindulgent, for the lustful, the gluttonous, and the avaricious (greedy). I'm starting to understand why Dante arranged things in this way. The problem with these sins is not truly the sin itself but that we try to find our enjoyment in it. Sex and wine were created by God to be enjoyed. We have taken these and perverted them in an attempt to satisfy ourselves. Our longings go much deeper than that. Anyone who says different is a liar.



So the inevitable question comes. Where can I find fulfillment? What do I long for? Which of these desire must be met? What do I often turn to in order to find fulfillment? Will this satisfy in the end? What are practical steps I can take to find true fulfillment?

I cannot answer these questions for you. I struggle to answer these questions for myself; however, this is a fight worth fighting. This journey will not be easy but that's the point. Only, after revealing our deepest longings can we seek to find fulfillment for them. The greatest plea that I can make is that we will stop being half-hearted people and seek to find deep, meaningful satisfaction.




P.S. I understand this post is very humanistic. This is by deign. Those who know me will know that I believe the gospel is the only thing that truly brings satisfaction. Don't hear what I'm not saying. I desire that this post be more practical than philosophical. I desire to inspire my friends to pick up a pad and pen and begin to wade through how they should live life. This is what this post inspires in me. I hope it does the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment