Friday, October 15, 2010

Too Young?

"Well maybe I'm just too young
To keep good love from going wrong"
Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

I think this quote embodies a good deal of my life in the past 2 months or so. First of all, I've been listening to a lot of Jeff Buckley. This statement is most likely informed by the second statement. Secondly, I've been enjoying the gift of being able to spend time with a great girl that I surprisingly get to call my girlfriend. I say surprisingly because I'm still surprised that its working out this way 'cause I don't feel like I deserve it at all.

So before you leave because you find this sentiment disgusting (I've been there too) let me tell you that I wanna get my point across without being overtly emotional. There's a time and a place for everything. I don't feel like this is the time or place.

Here's what I'm getting at. I feel completely inadequate to make any of this happen on my own accord. I've felt this way a few times in my life about a few different things but its happened a lot recently. No matter how much energy I muster I don't feel like I have the grit or manpower to inspire this girl to care for me more. In fact, I know I don't. This fact kills my pride. It ways heavy on me; however, I am comfortable with this discomfort. I realize that this is not my responsibility but it points me back to the Giver of all that's good.

Here's my point. Guys, you wanna really understand what it looks like to rely on God in all things? Wanna understand how full of sin you really are? Get a girlfriend. Even if things go perfectly well, you will nearly be crippled by the great threat of your trampling under foot the precious gift that you've been given. I know this because this is the tension I live in every day. My confession is that I haven't been at this too long. I'm sure there are many other people that have infinitely better and more interesting things to say. Just giving you some instruction as I'm running across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment